Collectible Letter Openers
Opening envelopes with your fingers can be somewhat tricky. A letter opener can help you open an envelope without any risk of causing damage to whats inside or to yourself. The letter opener has evolved from being merely utilitarian to a work of art beautiful enough to give as a gift for home, office, or home office.What types of collectible letter openers are available?
Collectible letter openers come in a variety of styles. To decide which kind to get, consider the style preferences of the one who will be using the letter opener. You will want to find one that the user will enjoy for years to come whether youre getting it for yourself or for someone else as a gift. Available options include the following:
- Plastic letter openers: These can come with hidden metal blades and may come in packs and different colors.
- Vintage letter openers: These can be from any time in the past.
- Sterling silver letter openers: These can be made of 92.6% silver.
- Antique letter openers: These are at least 100 years old and are truly collector’s items.
- Sword letter openers: These can resemble items such as bayonets, rapiers, and samurai swords.
- Pen knives: These are letter openers concealed within pens.
- Repurposed railroad spikes: These are letter openers made from old railroad spikes.
Collectible letter openers are made of a variety of materials including these:
- Metal like sterling silver, stainless steel, chrome plated metal, brass, copper, bronze, and pewter
- Glass like cut glass and satin glass
- Ceramic like porcelain
- Wood like rosewood, tulipwood, walnut, poplar, and cocobolo wood
- Plastic like French ivory
- Animal materials like whalebone, horn, and tortoise shell
Scabbards and sheaths are made of materials such as leather, molded plastic, metal, wood, and mother of pearl.What sort of materials can letter openers be decorated with?
The blades of letter openers can be engraved or damascened. Damascening is decorative work where a design is carved into metal and then inlaid. The hilts can be decorated with the following materials:
- Semiprecious stones like jade and turquoise
- Murano glass
- Beads like acrylic beads and metal beads
Hilts can be decorated with the following figures:
- Animal figures including horses, birds, monkeys, and snakes
- Human figures
- Botanical figures including leaves and fruit
- Coats of arms
- Flatware patterns