Navigating on the Road With Vehicle GPS Units
Its hard to remember a time before GPS navigation systems became a standard addition to most cars, and you may be completely lost without them. GPS technology is constantly improving, as seen in DriveSmart devices and Lifetime Maps offered by companies like Garmin. While you may use your smartphone to replace a GPS unit, the features of a standalone navigator, its lifetime map availability, and the practicality of mounting it means theyre still as relevant as ever.
Why Should You Buy a GPS Unit for Your Vehicle?
GPS navigator systems transform the way you drive, offering detailed maps and voice commands to help you get where you need to be. They can be a lifesaver when negotiating new cities or neighborhoods and eliminate the need to carry bulky maps that require you to stop and check your location at regular intervals.
- While some cars come with built-in car GPS systems, a portable unit gives you the option to use it in multiple vehicles and to select a GPS navigator with the features that suit your needs.
- You may opt to use your smartphone in lieu of a GPS, but as GPS apps put considerable strain on your battery, you need to make sure you also have a charger so your battery doesnt die while traveling from A to B. You can also easily mount standalone GPS units so you cannot only hear the voice activation, but also view the map as you are driving without allowing incoming calls and text messages to distract you.
Which Features Should You Look for When Buying a GPS?
Modern GPS units come with a whole host of different features, including traffic updates, turn-by-turn directions, speed limit indications, and voice command operations, as well as free Lifetime Maps updates.
- One of the first things you may want to consider is the size of the screen, with bigger screens being easier to see at a glance when driving. Also, look for high-resolution screens that make viewing details, such as street names and landmarks, much easier at a distance.
- Make sure the spoken directions are clear and easy for you to understand, as this is essential for your safety on the road. You can find GPS navigator units with accents specific to North America, as well as multi-language options if English is not your preferred language.
- Garmin DriveSmart and nuvi navigators both contain quality receivers, high-tech features, and preloaded map updates, with the option for Lifetime Map Updates so you never get caught out.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Garmin.