Helmet Action Camcorders
Video camcorders and cameras come in a wide range of types and styles. One effective way to use these cameras is by mounting them on a helmet. In doing so, your action camera can grab video footage in full HD, leaving your arms free during various sports activities.What action cameras can be helmet-mounted?
Several companies produce a variety of action camcorder models for you to attach to headgear. Many of these brands have already been producing video capture equipment in one form or another. A few of these brands include:
- GoPro, including camera models such as the GoPro HERO and its variants, the Hero5 with full HD 4k video, the Hero5 Black, and the Session.
- SJCAM which includes cameras such as their SJ400 sports waterproof camera. This is an action sports camera for bike riding and captures everything in HD.
- Panasonic, whose HC-V770 model of video camcorder comes complete with dual capture technology and Wi-Fi smartphone capabilities.
You will need to follow certain guidelines when it comes to mounting these camcorders onto headgear for mobile use. While most models include image stabilization features, the action camera needs to remain relatively still even after stabilization to produce a working display while shooting. Following a few simple steps will ensure that you get the image and video quality you need from your action camera.
- Choose the type of camcorder mount you would prefer to use. Two of the more common types of mounting devices for head cameras are straps and plates. The straps will go around the head covering with a focal point that secures the camcorder. The plates are generally sized to fit a particular sports camcorder, such as GoPro.
- The plates have built-in waterproof adhesive backing, so you can attach them securely. Should you need to remove a waterproof plate, you can apply some heat to the surface. The waterproof adhesive makes these mounts a great choice for surfing or underwater use, and the screen will be protected by a waterproof case.
- Flat and curved mounting plates will securely attach to any surface. All you need to do is apply some pressure to the plate and wait for the adhesive to take hold.
- Front-facing mounts will attach to the flat part to give you a self-portrait view with the screen almost at eye level. Simply attach the device to the front and wait 24 hours for it to bond with the headgear.
- Chin mounts provide viewers with the ultimate POV experience. They sit in their own apparatus that attaches to the bottom and are easy to transfer if necessary.
Video cameras and accessories are great if you are involved in various sports, thanks in part to their sensor arrays. These action cam sensors can pick up and record various points of data automatically. A video camera on your headgear can be used for activities such as:
- Mountain biking.
- Cave diving.