What to Consider When Looking for Personal Players with MP3 CD Playback
Sonys Walkman brand has seen a few product transformations since its original creation as a portable cassette player with headphones in the 1970s. With the CD replacing the cassette tape as the most common music format in the 1990s, the company created the CD Walkman. Some portable CD players were also marketed under the Discman brand, however this name was retired in favor of the Walkman.
How To Select a CD Walkman?
CD players are pretty simple devices that allow you to listen to a music CD via headphones while on the go. Some of the features distinguishing various portable music players include:
- AM/FM tuner - some models come with a built-in radio tuner allowing you to listen to your favorite radio stations in addition to CDs.
- Enhanced/mega bass - some CD players have an integrated digital mega bass feature, which enhances the music with a stronger, louder bass audio frequency.
- CD-R/RW playback - some models support the CD-R and CD-RW formats. This feature allows the Walkman to also serve as an MP3 player as MP3 audio files can be burnt on CD-R/RW discs and then played in a Sony CD player.
- Anti-skip and G-Protection - this data buffer technology allows for skip-free, continuous music playback even when excessive movement prevents the CD to be read correctly by the laser.
What Accessories Are Available For CD Walkmans?
There are several additional items you may need in order to make the most out of your portable CD player. Some accessories can come with the Walkman, others may need to be purchased separately.
- Car kit - when the CD Walkman was first released most cars only had cassette tape stereos. A CD player car kit allows you to connect your portable Sony player to the car cassette deck and listen to a CD in your car.
- Headphones - most Walkmans come with a standard set of headphones which can improve your music listening experience.
- CD-R/RW - if your music collection consists mostly of MP3s and you would like to use your Walkman as an MP3 player, you will need writable CDs to burn your MP3 files to.
- Rechargeable batteries - CD players can operate on batteries or AC power. The AC adapter will most likely be included with the CD player. However, in order to take advantage of the portability of your Walkman while also being eco-friendly, you may want to consider using rechargeable batteries.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sony.