Sony Portable Shortwave AM FM Radios
Sony has been one of the most prolific producers of electronics for the last four or five decades. Whether you are a shortwave enthusiast or you just want a portable AM/FM stereo, you can find a Sony portable radio that suits your specifications and personal style.
Does Sony Still Make Shortwave Radios?
The Sony brand has been very popular for many years among shortwave enthusiasts, and you can still buy new radios. The Sony ICF-SW7600GR has a built-in antenna for reliable reception and memory scanning functionality can cycle through up to 100 pre-programmed frequencies. It has a compact design and dual alarm function.
- This radio can power itself either by AC or four AA batteries (sold separately).
- It has 12-band reception covering AM/FM/SW/MW/LW. FM: 87.6-108 MHz; LW/MW/SW: 150-29,999kHz. It has a world time dual display with time shown as a 24 hour clock for easy world time conversion.
- It has a compact design with the following dimension: 7 1/2 by 4 3/4 by 1 2/5 inch (190 by 118.8 by 35.3 mm), 1 lb 5 3/4 oz (615 g) with batteries, and it comes with a carrying case.
Can I Find Portable Radios With Just AM/FM?
Sometimes, you just want an AM/FM radio and nothing fancy. Sony still makes several portable AM/FM options. Some of their current models are even Bluetooth enabled for streaming to your smartphone or tablet. The Portable Clock Radio with Bluetooth also has 2 by 1.77 inch full-range speakers for stereo sound and a built-in lithium battery for up to 32 hours of wireless listening.
- Battery Operated Personal Stereo: Sony offers some other models of pocket sized compact battery operated radios with high quality audio speaker sound or you can use the headphone jack for personal listening.
- Digital or Analog Tuning: While models like the Sony ICF-SW7600GR shortwave radio and the Bluetooth enabled radios have digital tuning, several of their other models rely on the classic analog tuner.
If I Want a Classic Sony SW/AM/FM Radio, What are Some of the Features I Should Look for?
If you are a classic short wave radio enthusiast, there are a number of vintage radios you can buy online. Some features to pay attention to include:
- Power: Make sure that if the model can run on batteries or plug into AC.
- Parts: See also that it either comes with all the parts or that replacement parts are easy to find. When in doubt, check with the manufacturer.
- Manuals: Check and see if the manual comes with it. If not, you can find many of the manuals scanned online.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sony.