Boxer shorts are a popular style of mens underwear that have a loose fit. For many men, boxers double as sleep shorts. Boxers are made by many manufacturers, including Calvin Klein, Jockey, Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, and more.
What are the types of mens boxers?
- Boxer shorts - Traditional boxer shorts have a button fly, a loose fit, and a mid-length leg. The waistband is made of elastic and stays shut.
- Boxer briefs - Boxer briefs are a combination of boxer shorts and briefs. The style fits tight like a brief and has a briefs flap fly, and is mid-length leg.
- Balloon seat - Most boxer briefs and regular boxer underwear have a balloon seat that has extra material in the front and crotch area in order to avoid bunching and give more room to the mans genitals.
- Yoke front - A yoke front pair of underwear has a wide waistband that completely opens.
What materials are mens boxers made from?
- Cotton - Cotton boxers are the most common style. The cotton may be woven or knit. They are available in white, pastels, brights, stripes, and patterns. The cotton underwear is breathable and helps to keep a mans genitals cooler than body temperature.
- Cotton and polyester blends - Cotton and polyester blend underwear offer more stretch, and they are usually wrinkle-free and soft to the touch.
- Jersey knit - Jersey knit boxer underwear is made out of the same material as tee shirts. It is stretchy, soft, and breathable.
- Silk - Silk is a premium material that is worn as boxers under mens dress clothes. It is soft and supple, allowing the suit or tuxedo to not cling to the body.
- Satin - Satin is another premium material for mens underwear and is often part of lingerie underwear for men.
- Bamboo - Bamboo is typically grown using sustainable methods. Bamboo is known for its ease of care, softness, and durability.
How do you select a size of mens boxers?
It is important to choose the right size of boxers for comfort and ease of movement. Mens boxers are typically sized by manufacturers as small, medium, large, extra-large, and XXL. Some manufacturers offer an extended length for boxer briefs. To select the right waist size, it is necessary to take a measurement of the natural waist.
- Use a cloth tape measure to wrap around the waist 3 inches below the belly button.
- Get the measurement in inches.
- Although each manufacturers sizes differ slightly, a waist of 28 to 30 inches is usually a small, 30 to 32 inches is medium, 34 to 36 inches is large, and 38 to 40 inches is extra-large.
It is important to note that cotton boxers may shrink by 5-10% after washing and drying.